HUGE CONGRATS to the INDOOR DRUM LINE on their fantastic first competition yesterday! Out of six groups they placed SECOND! Way to go indoor! Very excited for your next competition!
This week our big focus is SOLO and ENSEMBLE!! Wind Ensemble and Symphonic students are all required to participate and it’s a huge part of our curriculum. Everyone has had one rehearsal with pianist this past week and will have their second rehearsal this week. They have been getting 30-40 minutes in class to rehearse ensembles, but are encouraged to also schedule a rehearsal or two outside of class this coming week to polish and make sure they are ready!
Practice performing your solo FOR YOUR FAMILY!!! One of the most daunting parts of playing a solo is performing it for others. Practice as much as you can this week in front of other people (parents help us out here!!!!!) to get comfortable with this aspect of the performance!
Click here to see see the CONTEST SCHEDULE. You will note there are two locations – the local ANDERSON location and the UIL Bowie Location. The Bowie Location is the UIL location for students selecting the track to advance to state, Anderson location we have hired judges and built in more time for students to get individual feedback from judges after they play. If you have any questions about Saturday or Solo and Ensemble in general after you look at Saturday’s schedule please email Ms. Gonzalez. Each Judge will select 1-2 students to advance to the Anderson Solo Competition Feb 28!!!!
SOLO AND ENSEMBLE ETIQUETTE AND REMINDERS:
- DRESS UP!! This is a formal event – Sunday best is the attire. If you do not have something from home you are comfortable wearing you may wear your concert black uniform. Jeans, T-shirts, athletic pants, etc are NOT acceptable.
- Show up 30 minutes early and plan on warming up. You don’t want to overplay, but you want to feel comfortable and ready to play.
- Find your room ahead of time. You will need to be waiting outside of your room 5 minutes prior to your PERFORMANCE TIME.
- As you practice this week, find recordings to practice along with…that will help you to know your accompaniment part and to get back on if you get apart from your pianist mid-performance.
- TAKE EVERYTHING YOU NEED HOME ON FRIDAY!!!!! The band hall will be used as a percussion performance room and you will not be able to access it on Saturday. Make sure you take everything with you Friday!!!!!!
Parents – the ANDERSON BAND BOOSTER ASSOC. (ABBA) MEETING is this week MONDAY, FEB 4 at 6:30 in the band hall!!! We want to see you there!! If you are thinking ‘goodness gracious, why do we flamingo….why do we mulch….where does all this money go?!?!?!’ Come to the meeting! You will see the budget breakdown and understand WHY we do it! REMINDER – ABBA Meetings are on the first Monday of every month! Next Meeting is MARCH 4!!
Monday – ABBA Meeting 6:30pm in the Band Hall
Saturday – SOLO and ENSEMBLE (Locations: Anderson; UIL Track is at Bowie) . See schedule